Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I believe I forgot to mention in my last blog entry that I have been teaching alone in the class with brief interjections from my teacher when needed. One of my classes is very inquisitive and asks very detailed questions that I may not know the answer to or struggle to explain. So my teacher will help me by giving them the background knowledge. Other than that I have been teaching my students. It is very rewarding when the students are interested in the material and would like to know more information than what I am giving them. It has been going pretty smoothly. I am starting to feel like an adult! Being away from home, getting up everyday to go to a job that doesn't pay enough (or in my case nothing, i pay to go), its very humbling and fun.

This last weekend was our most adventurous yet, we went to see some waterfalls an hours hike into the forest. It was a very beautiful walk that crossed 9 rivers and had beautiful plant life. The guide found some berries for us to try, blackberries(nothing like our black berries) and a berry that tasted like pure sugar. The sugar berries were good, but they left the taste of sugar in your mouth for nearly an hour, everything I ate or drank tasted like sugar. When we arrived at the falls I was amazed how large it actually was, and how cold the spray from pool was. It felt like I was walking into a storm. It was very refreshing after a long humid hike to reach them. There was a vine almost 7 feet off the ground that Andrea and I managed to clime onto and use as a swing. It was a lot of fun. The man who showed us around the town and kept track of us, Anthony, was very nice and really helpful.

I am starting to get excited about leaving because the thought of being with friends and starting a new school makes me want to be home. But at the same time I am very sad that the time here has gone by so fast, and thinking about leaving my new "black family" (as we call it) tugs at my heart. It will be a sad and emotional day when I have leave here because I have made a lot of new friends and family. The students are a treat and I know I will miss them. So it is going to be a bitter sweet departure from this gorgeous but hot country.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heeyy mr. Ziesmer!!!!!! It seems like you were so happy back then, did we ruin life for you?
your favorite student,
Cecilia

Unknown said...

hey hey mr. z-man! its your annoying friend/bestest friend. Guess who?!???!?!??!?!?!:D